Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Don't Wait Until It's Too Late To Make That Change!

In February of 2009 I lost my mother to esophageal cancer. She had just "beaten" breast cancer when they discovered a 2nd primary cancer in her esophagus that had already metastasized to a stage 4 level. It was deemed "inoperable". At the time that this was discovered my mother weighed almost 300 lbs and I was fast closing in on 200. My mom was 5' 7" and I am only 5' 2" so we were both morbidly obese. The only reason an operation to try to save my Mom's life was not possible, was because of the extra weight. One would think this would be an automatic wake up call to me, but it took another 2 years and losing her after a grueling battle with a most vicious form of cancer to give me my AHA (as Oprah calls it) moment.

In January of 2010, almost a full year after Mom's death, I walked into a weight watchers meeting desperate for help. I had been grieving for a year and was over 230 lbs. I knew something had to be done. I am 100% positive that my Mom guided me in there that day. I was always very private, avoided groups of people like the plague, and viewed asking for help as a weakness, so this was extremely out of character for me. The group "leader" that evening was Lori, and I briefly told her how I had gotten where I was and in the process of exchanging information, found out that her husband had just (within the last week) been diagnosed with esophageal cancer. She also has no thyroid (like myself) and assured me that they could help. I ended up joining that night, and it has completely changed my life.

Although I am no longer an active member of weight watchers, I am thankful that they started me off in the right direction on my fitness journey. I have since lost close to 70 lbs (still have 40 to go), but more importantly, I now realize the importance of health and fitness in your lifestyle! I am determined to pay this forward and help everyone I can which is why I started Kickin' It!. For every person that our organization transforms, that is one more Niece, Nephew, Sister, Brother, Grandchild or Child that can still be there for their family and learn to fully enjoy a healthy lifestyle!

I am so sorry that it took the death of my Mother to lead me on this journey and that I am too late to help her, but somehow I know that she would be very proud to know that something good came out of a horrible disease that she battled with extreme courage and grace.

I love you Mom!

Tammy
Owner
Kickin' It!

No comments:

Post a Comment